Slow and Steady

      

                     Slow and Steady


  On Wednesdays, I always try to close from work early so I catch up  "Search the Scriptures" in church. On this particular Wednesday  I got carried away and lost track of time, it was 6:15 PM already as I rushed off work, gathered my stuff and headed for church. As I got to the road I met traffic congestion. I plugged my earphones and was ready to do the fastest walk, I needed more speed, I needed to just appear in church as time wasn’t on my side, but traffic was!

  I walked past the first street and finally saw a route free of traffic. My heart was filled with joy as a Keke (Tricycle) was coming towards my direction, I waved and he stopped, asked where I was going and I hopped on. I told him to go fast as I was already late to my destination. He to took another street to avoid traffic, he drove really fast and I started to feel less anxious as I had felt initially.  As he drove speedingly into the next street, boom! We got stuck in traffic. I  took out my phone and searched Google maps trying to get direction and  comparing  the time to arrive my destination if I walked to if I used  a vehicle, walking will take me 10 minutes but driving will take at least  25 minutes, I came down paid the Keke driver and  went back to walking, today the slower means of transportation was going to get me to my destination faster.



  David had been anointed as king of Israel, but he didn’t become King immediately. After Samuel anointed David as God’s chosen King, If David was in our generation, and had gotten a revelation or a pronouncement of becoming the next Governor or whatever highly placed leadership position and one week later nothing happens. He will probably start to wonder if he heard God properly,  going all out to do all he can to be in that highly placed position.

But David didn’t think being  anointed today  meant he would  start ruling over Israel the next day, he didn't start to strive to be king, he went back to tending to his father’s sheep, playing the harp,  becoming the king's music performer, fighting battles but yet he was an anointed king in waiting. David wasn’t concerned about the pace God was drafting out for him to take. He wasn’t anxious to be king. He knew if he followed at the pace God had for him, he will get to be King in due season.


We live in a world that is speed driven, we want everything to happen for us right now, we prefer to fly, sprint, run, anything other than stride. We no longer want to take the long decisive steps.     We need to stop running at our own paces and slow down, fit into God’s pace. The snail speed at which your life may be going and you feel as though you aren’t making any progress, God is calling you to be at that place. The place He has you right now is just the place He wants you to be, and no matter how fast you run, you will only end up losing breaths and not getting to your destination. You need to stop striving to be someone or something He isn’t ready to hand to you yet. On your life tracks, stop going at the speed of sprint racers on the tracks of a marathon, running at that speed you may end up crashing miles before the finish line.

Don’t go at your pace or at the pace society expects of you, go at God’s Pace.





Be not anxious (Phil.4:6) rather cast  ALL your anxiety to the Lord (1 Pet.5:7),

 for the steps of the godly are ordered by the Lord and He delights in thy ways (Ps. 37:23)

As you wait upon the Lord He will renew your strength, You will soar on eagles wings and you will walk and not faint (Is.40:31). 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts